Friday, August 26, 2011

Car Registration

As complicated as it's made out to be online, car registration was relatively painless.

You need three things when you go to the tax office (I went to the one in Richardson, which was blissfully unbusy on a Friday afternoon):
1 - Inspection Certificate from your car inspection
2 - Car title or car registration from your former state
3 - A walletful of cash (I think my total came out to be $185 or so - they do accept checks, but only from local banks).

There are two forms to fill out which are relatively simple (name, address, car VIN, etc.) and that's about it.  I think I was in and out of there in less than 20 minutes.

New Resident Information
County Tax Office Locator

So I now have Texas license plates and two stickers on my car.

2 comments:

  1. What? $185 for car registration for one vehicle!? Holy schmoley!! We pay $88 here. Almost a hundred dollars less!

    ReplyDelete
  2. $90 new resident tax
    $33 new title fee
    $62 for registration, county tax, and whatever misc. fee.

    So next year should only be the $62. I think Los Angeles was around $120 a year for registration.

    ReplyDelete