Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Apartment Woes

I must have pulled the short straw when I moved here, because it seems like every day has a new pain-in-the-butt issue for me to deal with.

My new washer and dryer arrived on Saturday evening, and they are really nice (GE Energy-Efficient top-loader washer and the matching electric dryer - the space was too shallow for front-loading machines).  I just wish they could have arrived during their delivery window.  I was told that my appliances would be delivered between 3PM and 7PM.  They must have been running on PDT, because I didn't see anyone until 9PM.  At least it wasn't the deliverymen's fault; apparently the scheduler had put two routes together that day.  But still, if I could write a review on Yelp, I think I would give the experience 3 stars, and 2 of those were with how nice and apologetic the deliverymen were.  To boot, the valve on the hot water tap is leaking, so until my apartment maintenance can fix it, I'm confined to cold water laundry only.  But the washer and dryer are nice and super quiet.

I've noticed a few creepy crawlies here, but nothing major.  Last night when I pulled down and inspected my bedding, I saw at least 5 or 6 little tiny bugs.  I don't know if they were bed bugs or carpet beetles, but let's say they were ugly things that left dark poo spots on my sheets.  So I pull everything off of the bed, wash it in cold water (remember, I can't wash it in warm or hot water yet), and dry it.  I vacuum the bed (but probably not well enough).  I didn't get to sleep until around 3AM this morning.  I've put in a maintenance request; they spray every week on Tuesdays, so hopefully someone will come around today.  But this really was the icing on the crap cake.  I'm ready for all the frustrating obstacles to stop.  It's not making me a stronger person, or a more tolerant person, or any of those other things that trials and tribulations are supposed to make people.  They're just making me angry.  And I don't think anyone wants to see me angry.  My hair turns into snakes and my eyes glow red.  It's not pretty.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. I'll pray they're not bedbugs. *shiver* They are spreading all over the place though. Even in Alberta in the big cities. People unknowingly bring them home from other locations in their suitcases etc. It's good that you've got a washer/dryer so you can keep on top of that. Hope the washer gets fixed soon, but did you know it's the heat of the dryer that kills the bugs? Any kind of bug. 20 minutes in a hot dryer will do it in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think they're bedbugs now, but they are some kind of bugs. After I washed my linens I didn't see any anywhere for the rest of the week. But this morning when I woke up I noticed some black marks on my pillowcases, so I think when I get back from my adventure this weekend I'll have to wash the linens again.

    ReplyDelete