Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Driving in Dallas

Driving in Dallas (or all of Texas, for that matter) is truly an exercise in taking your life into your own hands.  I've dealt with so much road rage and inattentive drivers that I'm seriously considering just cycling or taking the bus or Dart (Dallas' Metro) everywhere.  OK, not *that* serious, but it's a tempting option.

Example 1: Along most of the freeway "feeder" roads around here there is usually a left-only turn lane, and a left-turn lane where you can also go straight (it usually takes you right onto the on ramp for the freeway as well).  One afternoon I was stopped at a light on the right-most left-turn lane (the one where you can still go straight on).  A huge SUV pulled up to the right of me (in a straight-only lane), and when the light turned green the guy honked at me to get out of his way because he wanted to make a left turn!

Example 2: I was turning right into a parking lot during rush hour.  There was a guy in the entrance/exit area of the parking lot, who was oriented to exit the parking lot.  Right before I turned he decided he wanted to make an inpromptu U-turn back into the parking lot.  I really want to know what his thought process on this was.

I really don't feel like I'm being selfish or arrogant when I drive, but stupid stunts like these cause accidents.  And I see stuff like this every time I drive somewhere.  Not to mention I get nervous driving around here with my California plates. . . I'm still working out all the details of how I'm supposed to get Texas plates and a Texas driver's license.  It's going to be a pain, that much I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment