Monday, August 1, 2011

Detour Review - Czech Stop

Before I moved to Texas, I asked all my Los Angeles friends if they had any recommendations of things and places I needed to do, see, or experience while I was there.  Someone highly recommended the kolaches at Czech Stop Bakery if I ever took a drive down to Waco.  I took an excursion down to Austin this weekend and Waco is on the way, so I stopped by Czech Stop for a much-needed break from driving and pastries.

It's a little hard to find if you're coming from the North and are not sure where to turn off.  Coming from the South you will see the building as you exit the freeway.

I lucked out and didn't have to wait too long in line, and scored a box of cheddar garlic biscuits, two bottles of water, and a baker's dozen of kolaches for under $20.  I've tried both the sweet kolaches and the savory; the savory ones really hit the spot if you need a quick snack (they taste almost homemade) and the sweet ones are perfect for coffee in the morning.  The biscuits were a big hit as well.

The ladies running the place were incredible polite and the whole operation is well run.  I'm not quite sure if this is really all that it was hyped up to be, but it's perfectly located between Austin and Dallas and the pastries were delicious enough.  I do recommend the sweet ones with cream cheese if you're looking for a sweet tooth fix.

Czech Stop & Little Czech Bakery
105 N College Ave
West, TX 76691
(254) 826-5316

No comments:

Post a Comment