Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Driver's License Application

Yes, I know I said this was a 3-step process.  I've been busy, and as I'm not wild about being in Texas I'm kind of in denial about getting my driver's license here.

Anyway, I glanced at the website today.  It looks like I'll need:
Passport
Social Security Card (crap, where did I put that?)
Texas car registration, proof of insurance
Driver's License Fee of $25 (they say you can pay with a credit card although I'd just bring cash - I've heard that they can be particular about personal checks also)

If you have a valid out-of-state license you bring your current license in (I think they take it from you, which is another reason why I'm reluctant to bring it in) and then all you need to do is pass a vision exam.  No written or driving exam required.

Then just fill out the form and present all that to a DPS office.  Yeah.  I'm gonna get right on that.  :(

3 comments:

  1. I wouldn't even bother if I were you. If anyone calls you on your out of state license the correct answer is "temporary job assignment". It almost always flies, and at the most shouldn't land you with more than a "fix it now".

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I came to Washington state I had to do the driving written and everything. Maybe because they thought a Montana license didn't have any value.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy - I think I pretty much have to get my license because I moved here right before my car registration expired. So I have Texas plates and I think the trooper would get a red flag if I didn't also have a Texas driver's license.

    Don - In California I only needed to pass a written exam. I certainly didn't need to bring car registration, etc. in. They are awfully peculiar here.

    ReplyDelete