Sunday, January 15, 2012

Update

I know I haven't really been updating this as often as I thought I would be or would perhaps like to do.
Part of it is that I've honestly been busy, and part of it is that this "adventure" has really turned out for the worst and I honestly feel like it's been a huge mistake to move here.  My job is slowly getting better, but every other aspect of my life has suffered for it.  I guess my bank accounts are looking better also, and I don't worry about money as much as I used to (I still do, but in a different way).
My grandmother passed away in November and my parents will be out of the country (and out of contact for the most part) until February.  I feel bad missing out on her funeral, and I also feel bad that the last time I saw her was in 2008.  I used to talk to my parents quite often, but after an argument in October we don't talk much.  I saw them for a few hours before Thanksgiving and since they've been in Taiwan we've talked once.  I've tried to Skype them more often than that but they never pick up the phone.  Not sure why all this bugs me so much.
I spent the holidays out of state, which was a really nice holiday.  At least I thought it was.  The night before I came back to Dallas my boyfriend and I had a huge argument which left me thinking our relationship was not as good as I thought it was.
Classes started last week; I'm taking Web Technologies and after this class I will have two more before I graduate.  I'm pretty excited about this class as it seems 'lighter' and less intense than my last few classes.  The professor seems cool and I hope this class will be a lot of fun.  At least I have a good excuse now to learn Perl.
I ran into a neighbor walking her dog while I was out walking my dog; we exchanged numbers and hung out at the dog park yesterday.  So I feel good that I'm slowly making some friends.  I also hung out with a colleague on Friday and one of the people in my tango class friended me on Facebook.  So at least my social life is looking promising!
A lot of people ask me what I don't like about Dallas.  I can't really sum it up in a few words.  The culture here just doesn't fit my style or personality.  That is what I usually end up saying.  But it goes a lot further than that.  The under-the-radar racism and sexism here really disturbs me (A DFW TSA "customer service" representative said, when I complained about a female TSA agent with 'dark hair', "Oh, so it was a black woman".  BTW his name is Chuck and you can reach him at 469-948-1828). Dallas' rampant consumerism and materialism irks me (although is really nice if you want to go shopping).  I still get nervous driving on the roads here.  Driving here is just an exercise in exhaustion for me.  It's not that I don't know where I'm going most days, it's the fact that everything is so spread out.  I have to drive at least 10-15 minutes to get most places I want to go.  It's just a fact.  I don't think moving will help either. (Well, moving out of state may help, but that's not really the point) I find the Texan accent grating and lazy in most cases, and my name gets mispronounced/misspelled as "Diana" more frequently than not.  I could go on.
I've found very few things to be happy with Dallas.  I've found great tango instructors, a good masseuse, and I think Central Market is fabulous.  I like that I can have a dog here with minimal fuss.  Cost of living is cheaper here, so I can save more easily.  But none of this is stuff I really wax poetic on, except for perhaps my tango instructors.

No comments:

Post a Comment