Sunday, April 1, 2012

Firefly 5K Race Report

So I decided to get back into running as a kind of "New Year's Resolution" to myself.  I didn't really start on the first of the year but regardless I think it's still appropriate.  I've been going to the gym a lot (as well as dancing a lot) - I'm down to two pounds away from where I was in high school so I'm really happy about that!

I picked this 5K in Plano because it was at night and I thought it would be a little different and fun.  They gave us all LED wristbands to wear and it must have been a cool sight to see all these runners with lights and glow-bands on.  On top of that I thought I did really well!  I was able to run the whole 5K without stopping, which is a first for me (for the first race of the year anyway).  So I was very happy with myself because of that, even though I didn't make a personal record.  I guess there is always room for improvement!

The course was all concrete and I wasn't expecting that; asphalt is much kinder to the joints.  The field was pretty huge (I read 4000 entrants would be allowed on Active.com but the announcer at the race said that 7000 had signed up) and as a result the course was very crowded.  Also many participants didn't have good race etiquette but they run here like they drive so I shouldn't be too surprised.  I know I vent a lot about the drivers and the people here but it gets so frustrating.  How hard is it to consider the people around you?  There was also some disorganization at the start and finish lines that I didn't appreciate.

I don't think I'll do this race again, but it was a fun start to my recreational racing this year!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you, Diane! I've been lazy. I need to start running and biking again. I didn't get much activity in over the lame winter we had. Lots of movement, but not good core exercise. I've taken up yoga more than anything else lately, and while I feel it centers and calms me, I don't feel it's effects on a weight loss or muscle building level.

    ReplyDelete