Saturday, June 18, 2011

Texas Turns

It's fascinating to me how different just driving can be in different parts of the United States.  When I moved to Los Angeles I remember being intimidated by all the fast drivers.  Now I've become one of those crazy L.A. drivers!  I drive too fast and pass too close.  If you do something stupid I honk with great gusto.

In Dallas they have horizontal traffic lights, and they have what's called "Texas Turns".  If you miss your exit on a freeway, you can just remain in the left lane and be immediately funneled into the on-ramp to go the other way.  It's very convenient for those who are new to the city and are a bit lost (even with Garmin by your side).

When I moved to L.A., I thought that I would stay there, that L.A. would be the place where I put down roots.  Now I'm relocating to Dallas for work, and until this week I'd never set foot in the city.  This whole unanticipated adventure has just become my little detour, my Texas Turn into I-don't-know-what-comes-next.  I'll admit it's not the perfect analogy.

No comments:

Post a Comment